Monday, October 11, 2010

Getting fruity...

The tree drypoint was going well until the burr died. I took five prints, but they looked really weak. I'll scan one in and play with it some time.

Moving on.

We're back to a zinc etching for the 2nd plate. 8x10.
Our prof had us aim for something with a strong color theme. A field of color. A blue ocean scape, a red drape of fabric, a yellow honeycomb with bees... along those lines.

We had a large platter sitting in the kitchen filled with bunches of grapes picked from our little vine in the backyard. Grapes look kind of awesome when light shines through them. I took a bunch of photos, tweaked them in various ways in photoshop, found a crop I liked, and started sketching.

Last week, I pressed flattened grape leaves into a wax soft ground to get some texture. Next, I blocked out the highlights/tones with spraypaint through a stencil. Dropped it in the aquatint bath for a couple minutes. Re-ground the plate and started the drawing. Etched for 12 minutes. Took some proofs. The result was better than expected. Woo.
I reground it and over the weekend filled out the drawing crosshatching/stipling.
In lab today, etched it for 10 minutes, cleaned it, burnished more highlights and printed three. A deep burnt sienna on BFK, toned the ink a bit more for one on Fabriano, and finally whipped up some toned green on BFK for fun. They all looked pretty decent. I'll bring one home Wednesday to scan.

In the meantime, I brought the bare plate home to see what it would look like in the scanner.
Pretty odd. Ha.



The brighter stuff is etched more. When printed, it's dark. So, I inverted the whole thing.
Below is a little closer to what the prints looks like... but not. ^^


The real things will be... そろそろ COMING SOON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment