Big ol' earthquake here.
6.0 near American Canyon. About 25 miles southeast of us.
Just now able to type. Whole body was shaking hard for a while. I was still awake, as usual, watching Youtube. That eerie rumble started. Kind of an up and down jolting swell at the start. Then a proper long roller for about 30 seconds. I stumbled to the doorway of my room and called out "Earthquake!" aloud, 'cause my folks sounded startled and confused having been woken by it. Then they scrambled to join me in the hallway. Kept going for a bit longer.
Whew. Gonna be checking the earthquake preparedness kit and keep it close for the next week or so.
The next strongest earthquake I've felt was in '02-'03... can't remember. That was an even 5.0 with an epicenter about a quarter-mile from here. It was extremely violent. Side-to-side. About 15 seconds. Couldn't even stay upright while sitting on the floor for that one.
This one freaked me out more though. Just felt like it went on and on and on. Long loping rolls. Like being on the teetering deck of a tiny ship in a stormy ocean with swells and swells and swells. There's hardly been a shudder here since then. I've thought about it from time to time for a few years. Seemed like we were long overdue for something larger.
I freakin' love Twitter. Nice to go there immediately and have info and confirmation from around the Bay. Reddit, too. It pays to be on your computer at odd hours sometimes. Luckily we didn't lose power.
Settled down pretty nice here now. Glad my bodily tremors have mostly dissipated. Deep breaths and sighs.
Deep breaths and sighs.
No comments:
Post a Comment