Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter throwback I

A handful of older pieces will be on their way to this space during winter break.

First up...
Alphonse Mucha's 'Cycles Perfecta'. The Art Nouveau style is so... accessible? I think it just always looks good. Mucha was the master. Came across this poster a few years ago. I hadn't seen it before. Interesting combination of the crazy hair and dress and simple bicycle. Kinda spiffy. I painted this during 'beginning painting' at the JC. It's more like a class for experienced painters who can take advantage of the studio and get units for it. Our Prof let us paint anything we wanted. Actually, the three figure studies I posted recently were during this class... from the only day we had something specific to paint. I digress...

So, my Cycles Perfecta is acrylic on canvas. 18x24. Pardon the terrible photo quality. I was really happy with it and thoroughly enjoyed painting it. But, the curse of a perfectionist, I wasn't quite happy with the blend on the face and the arms. Went over them again and it irreparably dulled out the color. Gah! Even though it's glaringly annoying to me, I guess it's not obvious to everyone else. Miss Perfecta has recently taken up residence at my bro's place, where she can be enjoyed by real cyclists who would never let their hair get silly enough to get caught in the spokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment