Yesterday, I left the house for Pokemon Go.
I have strong feelings about augmented reality being the standard of the future.
It seems inevitable to me that a digital or virtual reality will interface with reality reality more and more.
And I like it.
There is an issue of access for now, the requirement of a device to participate.
But the potential is what I find inspiring.
During the recent ugly month I started reading Harry Potter again. A distraction from intermittent panics. When PokeGo started taking over in the form of strangers meeting, in odd places, at odd hours, to participate in a world that would normally be hidden... all I could think of was how Harry Potter begins. With strangers, part of a normally secret world, congregating at street corners, landmarks, parks, and community centers, to communicate, discuss, and celebrate their apparent freedom from a terrorizing maniac.
There will always be people who will take wonderful things and use them to cause harm, as is and will be the case with Go.
But fuck 'em.
The positivity, the cooperation, the sun and exercise and enthusiastic mutual interest shared by many... seems like that's exactly what we need right now.
I woke to the fresh news of the Bastille Day horror in Nice.
If we will have atrocities like these as a new normal in the west.
I hope we can have a new normal of a positively augmented community.
Even if it's for silly things.
Silly is good.

No comments:
Post a Comment